Wednesday 6 February 2013

Adventures : Switzerland

Howdy, something different on the blog today!

What springs to mind when you think of Switzerland? Cheese? Bankers? Swiss Air? Hot chocolate ? Or maybe those snowy Alps?

Well, I am lucky enough to have a brother who lives in Zurich, so I couldn't give up the chance to go. I've been twice, once on a mini adventure and secondly to do some work experience in the university of Zurich economics research department (YES, it was scary). BUT, back to the point Lauren, you can enjoy the countryside, opt for a ski in the alps or do a little bit of city sight-seeing.

 Zurich ; is one of the richest cities in the world, you might have to break your piggy bank if you want to do a little shopping. However, there is SO much more to do there without breaking the bank. For a mini weekend away, it's perfect!

I visited Zurich initially, where I took strolls alongside the river, ( you can even travel down a few of the rivers in a doughnut ring!!) had a bite to eat just round the corner of the richest hotels and businesses, took myself off to the Zurich zoo (It's huge) and had a beautiful relaxing drink in the sunshine overlooking the city.


I took the train from Zurich station to Bern where I then caught the train to Interlaken ( the train journey is beautiful, the railway takes a route alongside the peaceful and beautiful lakes between the mountains, almost as if the railway is on the edge of the water). I then took a little train up to the mountains of Grindelwald. With snowy mountains(Mount Eiger included), wood cabins and cows with bells, this is the PERFECT romantic getaway. It's also amazing for those outdoor sports people, you can ski, snowboard, hike and take a zip wire through the mountains!!)


I stayed at a beautiful little wooden hotel overlooking Mount. Eiger, it was incredibly peaceful and the view was INCREDIBLE,one of the best I've ever seen. I remember waking up, looking out and thinking ' Is this real?' I was able to sunbathe on my balcony whilst overlooking snowy mountains, incredible. I also witnessed a few Avalanches......
I travelled toWengen which is 1,274m up into the mountains, the air is definitely fresh.
If you're feeling brave, you can head up to the Jungfrau region(4,158m) where you can stand at the highest point of Europe, also one of the Bond films was filmed up there too! It's a place of natural beauty but great happenings.

It's a truly beautiful place, and there is so much to discover, save those pennies! You can usually get cheap-ish flight with 'Swiss Air' if you book in advance!
Have you been before? Would you like to?
Any questions, feel free to leave a comment or ask me on twitter : @smokeyblush

Here are a few snaps, mostly taken with phone/little camera, so excuse the photography!

 Our beautiful hotel,  marshmellows roasting on a fire anyone?



 Love this picture, I'm so happy amongst the beautiful nature!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helpful information. Lucky me I discovered your website unintentionally, and I am
stunned why this accident didn't came about in advance! I bookmarked it.
Here is my web site her comment is here

Anonymous said...

SO JEALOUS. Id love to go to switzerland one day xo

Search